Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Homemade burgers are far better then a Big Mac...

A two-a-day workout leaves my stomach in a constant state of grumbling most of the day. By the time I make it home in the evening I am craving...well almost anything. I picked up ground turkey at the grocery store after my final workout today, so I decided to make some yummy turkey burgers. My mom use to make me these when I was home from school this past summer, and they are delicious! They are very easy to make, and do not take too long to cook either. I made them on my little grill inside, seeing as it was a bit on the chilly side for any bbq'ing...plus I do not own a barbeque here in Windsor. If you do not have a grill, a pan will do. Here's how it done:

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground turkey or beef (at least 90 percent lean)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pitted green olives (2 ounces)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Cooking spray
Directions
Combine the turkey or beef, olives, parsley, cumin, and pepper in a mixing bowl and mix until well incorporated. Shape into 4 burgers.
Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over a medium-high heat or prepare an outdoor grill. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
Serving suggestion: Serve on whole-wheat buns, garnished with slices of tomato and lettuce, with ketchup and mustard on the side.

Per Serving: one burger
Calories 145; Total Fat 4 g; (Sat Fat 0 g, Mono Fat 1.5 g, Poly Fat 0.5 g) ; Protein 28 g; Carb 1.5 g; Fiber 0 g; Cholesterol 45 mg; Sodium 305 mg
Excellent source of: Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin K, Manganese, Selenium, Zinc
Good source of: Fiber, Iron
This was the recipe I went by, however I did not use cumin...I don't really know what that is. Also, you can add your own prefered toppings to the burger, and minus the bun or use whatever type of bun you would like, whole wheat is simply the healthier choice :)
Another thing I did differently was that I did not make four bugers out of my meat, therefore I just minused the ingredients to fit two burgers instead.










No comments:

Post a Comment