Tuesday, February 24, 2009

You'll find the more difficulties you have along the way, the more you will enjoy your success

I thought I'd write an entry simply on what inspires me each day to keep training, even when some days can be extremely tough both physically but even more mentally. The process of getting healthy again has been a never ending feeling that honestly brought out the worst of me at times. I dislike very much when I show or feel weakness, and I found myself to feel like the weakest person on earth, mostly because I was so upset inside. Many days all I wanted to do was be alone and (I know this sounds a bit much) but cry. I think the worst week of it all was when I had crutches. Walking to campus felt like an intense workout...my arms would be burning, the palms of my hands would throb and I would be sweating buckets, not a very pretty sight when walking into class.

Then came the Boot, I'm sure many of you saw me hobbling around campus on this space boot contraption. Though it looked as if I transforming into the next girl version of Optimus Prime, it was a lot easier to get around. This took some stress off me and I was then able to start doing pool workouts everyday. Slowly, I mean verry slowly, I was able to transfer to the bike, then to the elyptical, and finally, where I am today, two tempo workouts on the track a week, and milleage on the elyptical, bike and occasional runs outside. Though its not exactly perfect, I am finally at the stage where I see hope in racing this summer.

To get through the first bit of emotinal struggling, which I feel takes the biggest tole on an injured athlete, I turned to people I love to make me feel happy. Without them realizing, I reached to them simply just for laughter and fun, which took my mind off of the injury. At this time, I knew I could do nothing more for my ankle, but let it rest. To get me through endless, boring as hell, workouts in the pool, I kept the thoughts of what it would feel like to begin running again, and what it would feel like to get back into it without any fitness at all. This inspired me to stay dedicated to those workouts because that was the only thing close to running I had, and I knew that that was the only thing I had to make me a better athlete. What pulls any athlete through times like these is their love for the sport. The fact that I know I want to be stronger and faster, kept me going . Knowing I was not ready to put down my spikes quite yet, I was not willing to give up on my goals and dreams as an athlete. To compete as a Windsor Lancer once again, will make my university career feel complete. When I stand up on that start line, I not only want to win for myself, but for my team, for my fellow Lancers. There is a feeling of pride being part of such a close knit team.Iif one day you feel like you can not give your best for yourself, you feel the need to for your team. Being a Windsor Lancer once again, and wearing my blue and gold while crossing that finish line, is one of the biggest inspirations for me. I want to do this with all I have, no regrets. That's why I'll keep running.

Some songs that push me through workouts:
  • Rage Against the Machine-Renegades of Funk
  • " " " " -Calling in the name of
  • Alexisonfire-Boiled Frogs
  • Matthew Good Band-Push Till it Hurts
  • Arcade Fire-Wake Up
  • Kanye West-Stronger
  • Fort Minor-Remeber the Name
  • OutKast-Bombs over Baghdad

2 comments:

  1. Remember the Name and any Alexisonfire song could push me through a battlefield much less a run. Good Choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Life by the Game and Lil' Wayne
    No Matter What by T.I
    Lose Yourself - Eminem
    When I'm Gone - Eminem

    Going through a tramatic experience is very difficult and takes on a toll on you physically, mentally and emotionally. Many people around you will never understand what your going through because they personally never went through what you went through. We sometimes expect them to understand, but how can we expect them to understand if they never went through what you went through...

    I went through a tramatic experience just like you. I was in an car accident just 2 years ago where I broke half my face, destroyed my left knee completly and messed up my back. After 2 years I am still undergoing major reconstructive surgery on my face and on my knee. My most recent surgery is when they sliced and diced my left knee right open just in december, so I know how you feel about walking on crutches. How tiring it was and difficult and how it was a workout on its own.

    Sometimes people don't understand the pain that we are internally going through. They don't see the crutches anymore and they assume that we are okay, but in reality we aren't. So we can't depend on others to help us get through, the only person that can help you is yourself. If you dont want it yourself, if you dont want to get healthy, then you never will. Sometimes we lose motivation, sometimes we fall, but if we don't pick up ourselves up off that ground then we will only dig our own grave. Sometiems its hard to find that motivation, that strength, but we have to find it, even if its just a song, that song will carry us on to the next day. For every day that passes we are one day healthier and one day closer to recovering.

    ReplyDelete